I’m just starting an exciting new project with Gypsy and Traveller Communities (GTCs) in Yorkshire. I’m completely new to working with GTCs and I’ve already learnt a huge amount from our meetings with the York Travellers Trust. This is an evolving, community led project which aims to:
- Start to build trust between community members, researchers, and research organisations (e.g. Universities)
- Provide a platform for community members to express their views about health and social care.
- Develop, evaluate and share involvement and engagement methods, which others can apply.
- Develop and agree a plan for future collaborative working.
- Raise the profile of Gypsy and Traveller community organisations within the region.
The project is likely to culminate in a final event with community members and researchers. We hope that this will act as a platform for ongoing projects and relationships.
This is a collaborative project with the Research Design Service (RDS), the Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC), and the Clinical Research Network (CRN).
The project is funded by NIHR INVOLVE, as part of their ‘Reaching Out’ programme. Through the programme, they hope to create greater community engagement within health and social care research. All funded projects focus on parts of the community who are underserved by the current approach to public involvement. Information about the other Reaching Out projects is available at https://www.invo.org.uk/current-work/reaching-out/